Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is there a Dental plan that you have higher monthly fee so that you have a significantly lower copay?

I have extensive work that needs to be done, but I can't do it on credit, and I can't afford $800 for each crown with the current insurance I have. I'd rather pay a higher monthly rate ($100 or $200 a month) and have lower copays.





I'm not interested in lectures, my dental issues stem from the poor nutrition my mother had while she was pregnant with me. Even the dentists are amazed how soft my teeth are.

Is there a Dental plan that you have higher monthly fee so that you have a significantly lower copay?
There are many different plans out there. Most pay 50% on crown and bridge work. I have seen one plan that pays 70% on crowns. The issue here is that there is a maximum the insurance company will pay out per year... most of the time it is $1000 to $1500. So, you need to take into consideration the higher premium for the insurance and what your copay will be. If you are paying $1000 a year in premiums and the maximum the insurance company will pay out is $1000 you have saved no money and just had to deal with the headache of dealing with an insurance company. Look around and MAKE SURE to check the maximum annual payout before you sign anything.
Reply:I'm assuming you get dental insurance through your employment. Dental plans you purchase yourself are almost always a waste of time.


Generally the chance to change your coverage comes at the end of the year, so this is the time to speak with your benefits manager and discuss what plans are available to you.





Good luck,


Steve Bornfeld, DDS


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net